We welcome Prof. Dr Ir. Jürgen Van Erps, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), Belgium as member of the Technical Committee of Online Optical Wireless Communication Conference 2021
Prof. Dr Ir. Jürgen Van Erps (11-09-1980) is a professor of photonics and optical communications at the Faculty of Engineering of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), Belgium. He graduated as an Electrotechnical Engineer with majors in Photonics in 2003 and obtained his PhD in Engineering in 2008, both at the VUB. His research interests include freeform optics manufacturing, laser micromachining and 3D nanoprinting for photonics applications. He is also corelab manager of B-PHOT within the Flanders Make, the strategic research center of the Flemish Manufacturing Industry.
The Brussels Photonics (B-PHOT) is a research group within the Faculty of Engineering of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) focused on Photonics. B-PHOT teams up a critical mass of 70 highly skilled researchers and technology experts, with a mission to jointly embrace photonics, connect the dots between photonics research, innovation, education and STEM, and establish links to other science and engineering disciplines.
The Online Optical Wireless Communication Conference focuses on leading edge research on Optical Wireless Communication in its different forms and gathers experts from academia and industry to show their latest technical results and showcase their products and services. The application scope is broad and it ranges from Ultra-short range to Ultra-long range.
Conference topics cover visible light communication, infrared optical and ultraviolet communication. These different forms of OWC can potentially be employed in a diverse range of communication applications ranging from optical interconnects within integrated circuits through outdoor inter-building links to free-space satellite communications.
The following topics will be covered during the conference:
- Ultra-short range: for instance chip-to-chip communications in stacked and closely packed multi-chip packages
- Short range: For instance wireless personal area network (WPAN) applications under standard IEEE 802.15.7 and underwater communications.
- Medium range: indoor IR and visible light communications (VLC) for wireless local area networks (WLANs) and inter-vehicular and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications.
- Long range: inter-building connections, also called free-space optical communications (FSO).
- Ultra-long range: Laser communication in space especially for inter-satellite links and establishment of satellite constellations